I am excited to say that this is my second year presenting at Thurston Middle School's Writers Who Read Conference, and it was just as wonderful as last year. The purpose of the conference is to encourage students to read and emphasize the significance of reading in one's field of work. My presentation focused on how reading is essential to my work within the fashion industry.
In addition to talking about my work, I shared my favorite resources to stay up to date on the industry. These are insider websites that cover what's going on both on the creative and business side of fashion. Below are my top three favorite sites:
- Business Of Fashion
- I would describe it as the business and financial side of what is going on in fashion and the global impact of everything.
- Described as "gained a global following as an essential daily resource for fashion creatives, executives and entrepreneurs in over 200 countries. It is frequently described as “indispensable,” “required reading” and “an addiction.” -Business of Fashion About
- I would describe it as the Netflix of fashion, it has every runway show and features exclusive documentaries, like an upcoming one with Grace Coddington.
- "Made to Measure (M2M) is a new fashion video network. M2M covers the world of fashion and style - past, present and future - through fresh and culturally relevant storytelling." -M2M About
- I would describe it as the subculture site, featuring intellectual articles about fashion, and names you haven't hear of...yet.
- "...quickly earned its position at the vanguard of fashion and style, abiding by the premise of originate – don't imitate... a glossy magazine that documents fashion and contemporary culture, and has broken ground defining it too. Constantly reinventing itself, as with our website, i-D continues to encourage creativity, which is why after more than 30 years, its editorial content still manages to surprise and inspire." -I-D About
My Favorite Reads:
- Leave Your Mark by Aliza Licht
- Capture Your Style by Aimee Song
We discussed SS'18 trends, their cultural significance and why they might be trending at this time. One of my favorite responses was from their teacher, Mrs. Whelan on why clear bags are trending right now. She suggested that they could be influenced by the see-through bags enforced after 9/11, and that now designers are taking an artistic approach and paying homage to that. As we know, culture heavily impacts fashion and designers share their interpretations through creating. My favorite thing about fashion is how open ended it is. Just like art, it can be interpreted in anyway by anyone, and can trigger strong reactions of love or hate.
I'd love to know what inspires your views on fashion. Let me know in the comments!
If you want to read about last years Writers Who Read Conference, click here.